Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Recruiting Blurb

At this point in my business, my advice on recruiting is to invest in the people. If you are out talking people to get another name on your team, you need to back up and reassess. The people you are talking to don't want to be bodies, they don't want to be on someone's "downline" and their top priority is not helping you promote. They don't want to take on this business to help YOU. They want [business] to (fill in the blank) for THEM. So make it about them.

My waitress at dinner the other day was pretty absent. It was a business dinner, so I was meeting with a client after an event. We came in late (close to closing time, but not so late that we would leave after the doors locked) and we didn't order a "high ticket meal." She didn't earn her tip, that's for sure. But I got her to loosen up near the end of our meal by apologizing for being her last table (we weren't, but "a spoonful of sugar...") and started talking about when I was waitressing and how it would make me so crazy when people would come in at the last second and order a well done 20 oz steak. She opened up and indicated that she wasn't all that thrilled with her job, but has a ton of student loans to pay back. I left her a $6 tip on a $20 tab and put it with my biz card. I wrote "30% commission, no quotas, no bosses, and flexible hours. Text me if you're interested." Now, I haven't heard back from her, but I can guarantee she took a minute to read that and go "Hmm..." Next time I go there, I'll ask for her table and see if she remembers me. Then I'll ask about her hours, and her workload, and then her student loan progress, and we'll only go up from there.

It's like scouting... you don't just want anyone on your team (although some random acquaintances will surprise you, and that's totally ok!). You want people who are willing to try new things, who are social, who communicate effectively, and who love the products. Football coaches don't recruit players just because they're fit. They go to games, they watch them play, they interview them and find out how dedicated to the team they really would be, they find out their price (ding ding ding! "How much would you like to make in a month? Let me show you how you can do that..."), and then they sell themselves to that person. "I'm going to be the best coach you can find that will help YOU reach YOUR goals (which helps the team as well, wink wink) because.... [fill in the blank]."

Be a good coach. Help them help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment